Sunday, June 22, 2008

Whole Grain Blueberry Muffins

I love blueberries, but unfortunately here in Texas they are not plentiful. Back in Illinois, we used to go pick them every summer, and come home with more than we knew what to do with. Now, I settle for some frozen blueberries from the grocery store. They're not bad, but not nearly as good as the fresh picked ones. But I digress...

This morning I wanted some muffins for breakfast, so I whipped up this recipe. Since I used the frozen berries, they took a bit longer to bake than I expected, but they tasted good. Nice juicy blueberries with a subtle muffin background, the blueberries were the star of the show...

Whole Grain Blueberry Muffins
Makes 6 Muffins

1/8 cup sugar
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup AP flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1/4 butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup blueberries

1. Preheat the oven to 400ยบ. Mix the sugar, honey, egg, milk, butter and vanilla together until smooth. In a separate bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together.

2. Add the dry ingrediants and fold lightly until just combined (don't overmix or the muffins will toughen). Fold in the blueberries.

3. Spoon the mixture evenly into 6 muffin cups. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.

I used a heart shaped pan so the muffins came out with a cute pattern.

1 comment:

tch said...

Sandie- these look scrumptious and I know how much you love blueberries. As a aside, when I see or eat blueberries, I always am reminded of Aaron's first real Halloween costume when he was dressed as Huckleberry Pie, of Strawberry Shortcake fame! I am sure I have shared this with you before. M