My husband's birthday was yesterday, so I told him that I would make whatever cake he wanted. I gave him a book, Cakes and Cake Decorating by Nilsen, Maxwell, and Murfitt, and he picked out the Pear and Cardamom Spice cake. Granted, he likes fruit more than sweets, but I still thought this was a bit unusual. But, I made it for him and it is very good. I guess he has good taste...
Pear and Cardamom Spice Cake
1/2 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
1/2 cup superfine sugar
2 cups AP flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 tablespoons milk
2 teaspoons cardamom
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1 1/4 pounds dessert pears, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons honey
1. Preheat the over to 350º. Grease a 8 inch springform pan and put parchment paper in the bottom.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time.
3. Sift the flour and baking powder together and mix into creamed mixture, alternating with the milk.
4. Stir in the cardamom, nuts, and poppy seeds. Reserve 1/3 of the pear slices and chop the rest. Add pears to mixture.
5. Transfer to prepared pan and smooth the top. Arrange the pear slices around the top, covering the cake batter. Add 3 walnuts to the center.
6. Bake for 75-90 minutes, until it a toothpick comes out clean.
7. Cool for 20 minutes, then remove from pan and brush with honey.
1 day ago