I had to make something sweet for St Patrick's day as well, and I had some bananas that I needed to do something with, so this recipe was born. I've made chocolate chip muffins before, but since I wanted to frost these, I wanted a more cake-like texture. They came out nice and moist, not crumbly at all. Here is the recipe I came up with:
Banana Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter (softened)
2 very ripe bananas
1/2 cup plain yogurt
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups AP flour
1/2 cup oats
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350º
2. Cream the butter and sugar together until it is light and fluffy
3. Add the bananas and mix together throughly
4. Add the eggs, one at a time, until they are mixed well, then add the vanilla
5. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and oats
6. Add half the dry ingredients to the wet mix and lightly mix, then add the yogurt and mix, and the rest of the dry and mix.
7. Add the chocolate chips and stir in by hand.
8. Dish out the batter into 24 mini cupcake tins, or 12 regular size.
9. Bake 15 minutes for mini cupcakes, and 20 minutes for regular size (they should be golden and a toothpick comes out pretty clean).
For the frosting, I made a simple white chocolate cream cheese mix.
4oz white chocolate
4oz reduced fat cream cheese
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/4 cup powdered sugar (just to make it the right consistency)
1. Beat the cream cheese until it is smooth
2. Melt the chocolate and let cool slightly
3. Add the chocolate and lemon juice, beat until it is smooth.
4. If it is too soft, add the powdered sugar until it is the consistency you need.
I piped 3/4 of it on the cupcakes in white, then added a bit a green coloring to it and added the shamrocks...
Also, check out this neat event...
8 hours ago